(most recent news item on top; oldest item at the bottom)
- Click here to read the latest Program Overview of the RV Special Development Area and the joint effort with the local and state governments.
- School Without Walls, a feature length documentary by French filmmaker Robert Andre, is being telecast in France and other Francophone countries throughout September and October, 2006. It is based on RV's RIVER project. The original English version (86 minutes long) was shown in various cities across India last year. The shortened French version, 52 minutes, is entilted Les secrets d'une ecole indienne. It has recieved great reviews from the French press. More information can be found at: http://www.RobertAndre.blogspot.com
- Rishi Valley School turns 75 in June 2006. The school has big celebration plans. See details elsewhere on this website.
- The Rural Health Center was the subject of a recent article titled "HEALTH IN THOSE TOMATOES". It was published in the August 2005 issue of Humanscape and authored by ex-RVite Dilip D'Souza ('75). Click here to read the article.
- Since the incidence of Mad Cow Disease in parts Britain, import of livestock has been halted. The Andhra Pradesh Livestock Development Agency is buying male animals from Rishi Valley Dairy for breeding purposes in the State.
- The end of the academic year March 2005 saw the school bid a reluctant goodbye to several veteran teachers of the school. Chief among them was Dr. Shailesh Shirali who spent more than twenty years at Rishi Valley as Head of the Mathematics Department, Director of Teacher Education and Principal; Mr. Jayant Tengshe who was Director of Studies, Mrs. Sunanda Ali who taught English in the High School and Mrs. Padmapriya Shirali who taught Mathematics, Environmental Studies in the Junior and Middle School. Mr. V. Prasad, Mrs. Aruna Prasad, Mrs. Usha Palat, Mrs. Mani; Mr. Sriram and Mrs. Gayatri Sriram have also left the school.
- Aruna Dhote/Reddy ('72) who has also been a teacher at RV, taught Biology and Chemistry to classes 8, 9 and 10 during 1998 - 2004. She resigned from RV in 2004 and is back with her family in B'lore.
- Rishi Valley Education Centre (RVEC/RIVER) has been awarded the first prize for the "The Most Innovative Development Project 2004" at the Sixth Annual Global Development Conference held at Dakar, Senegal on January 26, 2005. This Global Development Network (GDN) award is sponsored by the Government of Japan. More information can be had from the GDN website: click here to learn about the competition itself; and click here to read about the winners.
- A documentary on RIVER (Rishi Valley Institute for Educational Resources), part of RV's rural education initiative, is to be aired on French TV (channel ??) in March 2005. Seed funding for this project was provided by Ashutosh Sheshabalaya ('75) and Pramod Kumar ('75), and the screenplay was written by Ashutosh's wife Ilse Noppen. It is directed by Rob Harvey.
- Dr Kumaraswamy is now the new Principal of the school, replacing Dr Shirali, who continues teaching there.
- Click here to read an article on the GoodNewsIndia web site about RV's "Green-ification" and rural education efforts. It profiles the people involved and describes the history of the effort.